Bridport is situated on Anderson Bay, in the North East region of Tasmania, Bridport is some 70kms from Launceston and 268kms from Hobart.
In 1798 the early European explorers, Bass and Flinders navigated the northeast coastline. However, Bridport wasnt settled until 1830. Originally a port for the timber industry, the town of Bridport experienced periods of prosperity when gold was found in a nearby village during the late 1860s.
The delightful seaside town is surrounded by lovely bushland reserves, white sandy beaches, a world-class golf course, and the many renowned wineries of the Pipers River Region. In the municipality of the Dorset Council, Bridport has a population of 1,352 souls.
For all serious or budding golfers, a visit to Barnbougle Dunes is a must do. Considered to be one of the best in Australia, the world-class links golf course is also ranked in the worlds top 50. The Bridport Wildflower Reserve is renowned for its beautiful native orchids, and fishing enthusiasts will enjoy the many sea, lake and river fishing opportunities around the Bridport Township.
Many sheltered beaches surround Andersons Bay such as the beautiful Adams Beach, Eastmans Beach, and Goftons Beach. Swimming, sailing and other water sports are a favourite past-time, as well as fishing from the rocks.
One of the worlds largest lavender oil producers, Bridestowe Estate lavender farm is just a short drive south of Bridport. Some 22kms east of the Estate is the farming and forestry town of Scottsdale.
Today, the main industries consist of tourism, vegetable farming and commercial fishing. Bridport is also a major port for the Matthew Flinders cargo vessel, which travels to Port Welshpool in Victoria and Flinders Island off the northeast coast of Tasmania.